Rhetoric & Composition
What is Rhetoric & Composition?
Rhetoric & Composition is a vibrant field that includes Rhetoric, Composition, Cultural Studies, and Literacy. Rhetoric & Composition includes the study Graduates with training in Rhetoric & Composition work in large and small corporations, publishing houses, newspapers, non-profit organizations, and educational instruction, as well as in archives and digital platforms of all kinds. Graduates with training in Rhetoric and Composition are well prepared to pursue graduate study in law, rhetoric/composition, digital humanities, cultural or gender studies, communication, English as a second language (ESL), and library science. writing as processes that are multimodal and socially powerful. Rhetoric & Composition uncovers the ways we write and how those structures help individuals and society make meaning in the world.
What can Rhetoric & Composition offer me?
Students trained in Rhetoric & Composition acquire the power to use writing and rhetoric in the pursuit of personal, political, professional, and social goals and learn how to research and produce writing through traditional forms like essays, but also in twenty-first century forms, including digital Web texts, graphic novels, blogs, wikis, videos, and a variety of other multimodal compositions.
Professional and social goals are the heart of Rhetoric and Composition because students in this area become experts at analyzing the world around them. They critically analyze words, media, images, places, movements, and become participants in trending debates. Using rhetoric as a lens, they provide needed commentary on issues small and large. Rhetoric and Composition students are also experts in the teaching of writing. They get training in how to assign writing, assess writing, and build writing communities.
Is Rhetoric & Composition right for me?
In Rhetoric & Composition courses, students have many opportunities:
- Blend persuasion and creativity in various genres.
- Analyze popular culture, social justice texts, media, and make connections between language and power.
- Discover and apply best practices of teaching and assessing writing at a variety of levels.
- Learn how the teaching of writing is transformative.
- Explore personal identity through research, writing, and theory.
Job opportunities in Rhetoric & Composition
Graduates with training in Rhetoric & Composition work in large and small corporations, publishing houses, newspapers, non-profit organizations, and educational instruction. Some Rhetoric & Composition students from Georgia Southern have used their degrees to work as writers in diverse settings like: an Educational Technology Company that supports first generation college students; the Tesla car company, or teaching domestically (Washington DC) and abroad (Costa Rica).
Graduates are also well prepared to pursue graduate study in law, rhetoric/composition, digital humanities, cultural or gender studies, communication, English as a second language (ESL), and library science. Whereas other graduate students struggle with writing, Rhetoric & Composition students soar to success.
Rhetoric & Composition courses
- WRIT 2230 Careers in Writing and Linguistics
- WRIT 2340 Essential Grammar for Successful Writing
- WRIT 3030 Selected Topics in Writing
- WRIT 3100 Writing Autobiography
- WRIT 3133 Tutoring Writing
- WRIT 3433 Comic Books, Culture, and Composition
- WRIT 3310 Digital Storytelling
- WRIT 3435 Writing and Healing
- WRIT 3460 Travel and Tourism Writing
- WRIT 3520 Revision, Grammar, and Culture
- WRIT 4131 Teaching Writing
- WRIT 4550 Literacy and Identity
- WRIT 4560 Writing for Social Change
- WRIT 4570 Writing, Rhetoric, and Culture
- WRIT 4790 Internship in Writing and Linguistics
- WRIT 5030 Selected Topics in Writing
- WRIT 5100 Writing for New Media
- WRIT 5130 Modern English Grammar
- WRIT 5330 Rhetoric
- WRIT 5340 History of English Language
- WRIT 5520 Writing for Publication
- WRIT 5530 Sociolinguistics
- WRIT 5533 Teaching College Composition
- WRIT 5570 Advanced Writing, Rhetoric, and Culture
Last updated: 1/18/2021