W&L Seeking Instructors for 2020–2021 (search closed)
Note: This job search is closed as of 8-18-2020
The Department of Writing and Linguistics in the College of Arts and Humanities invites applications for multiple visiting instructor faculty positions, requiring at least a master’s degree, for the 2020–2021 academic year (August through May). These positions will be housed on either the Statesboro campus or the Armstrong campus (in Savannah) of Georgia Southern University.
The Department of Writing and Linguistics is responsible for defining and teaching the required First-Year Writing courses—a two-semester sequence that provides in-depth instruction in composition to all first-year students at Georgia Southern. The Department also offers a B.A. degree in Writing and Linguistics with coursework in four areas: Creative Writing, Professional and Technical Writing, Rhetoric and Composition, and Linguistics. In addition to the major, the Department also offers minors in writing, linguistics, and professional and technical writing, and an online graduate certificate in TESOL/Applied Linguistics.
Position Description. Reporting to the Department Chair, each visiting instructor position is a non-tenure track, academic year (10 month) appointment, teaching five courses each semester in First Year Writing. These positions require excellent teaching and ongoing professional development in the teaching of writing. Appointments are for one year only, although there is the possibility of reappointment to a second and final year based upon satisfactory performance should funding permit.
Salary. $35,000 to $37,000, based on qualifications and experience.
- Earned master’s degree suited to the teaching of First Year Writing in the Department of Writing and Linguistics
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution
Preferred but not Required Qualifications:
- Minimum of one-year full-time college teaching experience or equivalent in first-year writing by the time of appointment
- Graduate-level work in composition, rhetoric, linguistics, writing center theory, or literacy theory
- Experience working educational technology, including learning management systems
- Evidence of participation in professional development activities relevant to a first-year writing program
- Experience teaching dual enrollment courses
The deadline for submission of applications is August 7, 2020. The first day of classes is August 17, 2020. A complete application has the following elements:
- a letter addressing the qualifications cited above
- a curriculum vitae
- evidence of pedagogical effectiveness (e.g. syllabi, sample assignments)
- names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references
Only complete applications will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent electronically:
Dr. Russell Willerton, Search Chair, Search #12065, 12066, 12067, 12068, 12069, 12072, 12073, 12074
Georgia Southern University Statesboro Campus
Statesboro positions: 12065, 12066, 12067, 12068, 12072, 12073, 12074
Armstrong/Savannah position: 12069
(Please list the number(s) of the search(es) for which you would like to be considered.)
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu or http://cah.georgiasouthern.edu. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources at 912-478-6947.
Posted in Uncategorized