Fielding D. Russell Scholarship
The Fielding D. Russell Scholarship was established in 1988 by Talmadge H. Ramsey Sr. as “a tribute to the man who was the embodiment of liberal arts at Georgia Southern for so many years.”
Dr. Russell began his distinguished 43-year tenure at South Georgia Teachers College in 1932 as Dean of Men and Assistant Professor of English. He rose through the faculty ranks to become a full professor, Head of the Department of English, and later Chair of the Division of Languages. Described by students and colleagues as a true “Renaissance man,” his guiding influence on academic standards and his passion for learning and life were felt by all who knew him. He retired in 1975 but remained an integral part of the campus and the community until his death in 1993. The Russell Union building on the Georgia Southern campus is named in his honor and memory.
- Applicants must be rising junior or senior English majors, defined as majors who will have successfully completed at least 60 credit hours by the beginning of the fall semester of the next academic year.
- Applicants must have a 3.0 GPA.
- The recipient must maintain full-time student status.
- The scholarship must be used in the next academic year after a winner is selected. It may be paid in one semester or spread over two semesters.
- The criteria for selecting the recipients will include the applicants’ demonstrated academic excellence, personal character, and relevant extra-curricular activities.
To apply for scholarships, please log in to MyGeorgiaSouthern. From there you will find the MyScholarships (Scholarships Application Portal) choice in the services section of the page. Simply click on MyScholarships and you will be taken to the online portal. Fill out the initial “General Application” completely. You will then be taken to a “Conditional Application” based on your status as a student. Please answer all questions in order to be considered for any scholarships that you qualify for. Refer to Frequently Asked Questions for more detailed instructions.
Application Deadline: February 15
Last updated: 10/9/2017