Visiting Instructor of Philosophy- Search # 12149
College of Arts and Humanities Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies
The Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies in the College of Arts and Humanities at Georgia Southern University has an opening for a Visiting Instructor of Philosophy for the 2022-2023 academic year.
Founded in 1906, Georgia Southern University is a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution with a focus on public-impact research, serving about 27,000 students on three beautiful campuses in Statesboro, Savannah, and Hinesville, and via a growing online program. Through our degree offerings at the associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern offers a distinctive combination of community collaboration, world-class scholarship, innovative teaching, and hands-on learning opportunities.
To equitably serve a fast growing and highly diverse student body and to fulfill the University’s commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, we actively seek candidates with a demonstrated commitment to Inclusive Excellence. Candidates whose work furthers the institution’s goals and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
Within this setting, we seek faculty who will provide a rigorous, engaged, and diverse education in Philosophy. The department has an active student community, and offers majors in Philosophy, Philosophy with a Concentration in Religious Studies, and Philosophy with a Concentration in Law. We embrace the teacher-scholar model and look for faculty who engage students in a cooperative and supportive atmosphere. We also value connections to the community and work that reaches out to the public.
Position Description: Reporting to the department chair, the Visiting Instructor of Philosophy will teach 5 courses of introductory philosophy classes per semester. This is an academic year appointment for the months of August 2022-May 2023. All visiting positions are non-tenure track appointments, with the possibility of reappointment based on funding availability and satisfactory performance for up to two years. The second year is a terminal year, without exception. The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Earned Ph.D.in philosophy, or a closely related field, by August 1, 2022
- Experience in teaching Introductory level classes in Philosophy
- Willingness to engage with institutional student success initiatives.
- Commitment to engaging with best practice initiatives in instruction and pedagogy, mentoring, and curriculum design and development.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution.
- All work (with limited exceptions such as research and study abroad and outside activities such as grading and email correspondence) for Georgia Southern University must be completed while the employee is physically present in the state of Georgia, unless specifically authorized by the university for a specific purpose and limited period of time within current policy.
- Faculty are expected to contribute to the vibrant university community by engaging students, participating in events, and performing other responsibilities on-campus.
- Faculty may be required to teach, conduct research, or perform service duties on any of the three campuses. Georgia Southern provides accessible transportation options between campuses.
Screening of applications begins May 26, 2022 and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is August 1, 2022. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; a curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least 3 professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Karin Fry, Search Chair, Search # 12149
Georgia Southern University
Electronic mail: email@example.com
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu or https://cah.georgiasouthern.edu/philosophy/ The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources at 912-478-6947.
Last updated: 5/13/2022