Graduate Admission Criteria
A prospective student who has earned a baccalaureate degree from an accredited
college or university and plans to take courses in the Music graduate program
must be admitted under one of the following classifications:
1. A completed Bachelor’s degree in music or equivalent.
2. A minimum 3.0 (4.0 scale) cumulative grade point average in undergraduate work.
3. Two acceptable letters of recommendation.
4. Satisfactory audition (performance), musical scores (composition), portolio (music technology), or teacher certification (music education).
5. No GRE or other standardized test scores are required.
Students may be admitted on a probational basis if one or more of the requirements listed above are judged to be marginal. Specific provisions for exiting probational status will be set in each case by the admissions
committee and must be satisfied before proceeding past the first 12 semester hours of course work.
All students will be required to pass the Departmental Graduate Entrance Exam in Music Theory and Music History before proceeding past 12 hours into the degree. These exams are usually given just before the start of each semester.
Last updated: 3/30/2022