Scholarships & Awards
The Department of Literature and Philosophy has seven scholarships for outstanding students. Five of these, the Fielding D. Russell, Woody Powell, Tina Schneider, and both George K. Brannen Scholarships are exclusively for English majors. The Eddie Ivie and Helen Ryans Collins Scholarships are open to English majors but students from other disciplines may also apply. The general requirements for the English major scholarships are roughly the same: 3.0 minimum GPA, declared English major, 60-90 credit hours completed before fall semester of the next academic year, and full time student status. Please click on the individual scholarship links below for more specific information. All scholarship applications require two letters of recommendation preferably from academic references.
The way to apply for these scholarships is as follows:
1) Go to your MyGeorgiaSouthern page.
2) In the Services Section, click the MyScholarships link.
3) Fill out the General Application
4) If you are a currently enrolled student, fill out the Current Student Application
5) From the list of available scholarships, choose the Russell, Powell, Schneider, Brannen, etc. scholarships and follow any additional instructions
The Ruffin Humanities Scholarship
The George K. Brannen English Scholarship
The Woody Powell Scholarship
The Fielding D. Russell Scholarship
The Tina Schneider Scholarship
The Eddie Ivie Scholarship for Study in Ireland
The Helen Ryans Collins Memorial Scholarship in Irish Studies
The George K. Brannen English Scholars Fund
Awards for Best Essays
Awards for Outstanding Students
Last updated: 12/23/2016