Oh, The Places You Can Go: Meet Brittany Hodges, ‘11 (Alumni Interview)*

Today’s interview features Brittany Hodges, a 2011 graduate. In addition to the work she does at Georgia Tech, Brittany is also an avid reader, boasting of her collection of V.C. Andrews’ books.

In today’s interview, Brittany discusses how her English major, internship, and work with the Inkwell helped take her from Savannah to Denver to Atlanta.

What are you doing now? What paths led you to this point? 

Brittany Hodges

I am currently an Academic Advisor/Program Coordinator for the School of Aerospace Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology. Upon graduating with my B.A in English from Armstrong Atlantic State University, I went to work for a technology startup as a Marketing Coordinator. At that point, I realized that I no longer wanted to do Public Relations, Marketing, Newspapers or any of the things I went to school for. 

Upon completing my M.A in Managerial Communication, I moved to Denver to work as a Management Trainee at a for-profit education organization. I really enjoyed working with students and learning the ins and outs of Higher Education. I interviewed for a position at GA Tech, and I’ve been here ever since. 

Did you major or minor in English? How did your English education shape you?

I majored in English with a focus on Journalism. While enrolled as a student, I interned at WSB-TV Channel 2 in Atlanta and learned how to produce 5-6 minute segments for the community affairs show, and  I also served as the Sports Editor of the Inkwell newspaper my last year at Armstrong. 

These experiences along with my degree shaped me in my interactions with students. I have to write letters of recommendation and send out blast emails to my student population. 

I also have taught the freshman seminar course for the past two years here at Georgia Tech, and my English background has really helped me to prepare my lesson plans and sharpen my presentation and delivery skills.

What advice would you give to current English students or students considering English as a major or minor?

Don’t limit yourself! 

You never know where you’ll end up. Your English degree can take you wherever you want it to. I know plenty of people who segue into different careers. I think it’s one of the things that make you unique and set you apart when you’re working in a field that found you. Also, be patient. I didn’t find the career path that I was satisfied with until 2016 which is five years after I finished my degree. 

Can you tell us what’s on your bookshelf? Or, if you’d like, tell us about a book you read–recently or not-so-recently–that you would call a “favorite.” 

My favorite book is The Autobiography of Malcolm X. I really enjoy reading X’s story and understanding that your past serves as a lesson, not a life sentence. I just picked up a book entitled Kaffir Boy: The True Story of a Black Youth’s Coming of Age in Apartheid South Africa and I’m really excited to dive into that. As I’ve gotten older and experienced life a bit more I enjoy more conscious reading. However, I have all of V.C Andrews’ books on my bookshelf because I can’t resist her classic stories.

When asked if there was anything else she wanted to share, we learned that Brittany was an athlete, too! 

I played basketball at Armstrong Atlantic State University from 2007-2009.

Thanks so much for interviewing with us, Brittany! We’re so grateful to you for joining us today! 

Are you an alum with an English degree? Would you like to be featured on our blog for the 2020-2021 academic year? Email us! gsuenglish@georgiasouthern.edu. We would love to hear from you!

Share:

Posted in alumni, Department of Literature Blog, interview, Students