Study Abroad in Barranquilla, Colombia – Minimester II
The Country: Colombia
Colombia, officially the Republic of Colombia, is a sovereign state largely situated in the northwest of South America, with territories in Central America. Colombia is one of the most ethnically and linguistically diverse countries in the world, and thereby possesses a rich cultural heritage. In Colombia’s modern culture there is a wide range of influence including Native American, African, Caribbean, and Middle Eastern. Ecologically, it is also one of the world’s 17 mega diverse countries, ranking first in bird species and having between 40,000 and 45000 plant species.
The City: Barranquilla
Barranquilla, the capital of Colombia’s Atlántico Department, is a bustling seaport flanked by the Magdalena River. Barranquilla is the largest city and port in the northern Caribbean Coast region of Colombia, with a population of 1,228,300 (as of 2017). The city is known for its enormous Carnival, which brings together brilliantly costumed performers, elaborate floats and cumbia music.
You will be enrolled in six (6) credit hours of lower or upper division courses and will do a series of assignments, both orally and in writing, for your Georgia Southern professor. Graduate students will earn three (3) credit hours. Additionally, as part of your immersion experience, each morning, Monday-Friday, in small groups, you will spend four hours practicing your language skills with native speakers who are trained in teaching their language to foreigners.
Partner Language School
Universidad del Norte is an innovative university, recognized as the most outstanding institution of higher learning in the Caribbean Region of Colombia. The Language Institute at Universidad del Norte has been offering Spanish as a foreign language courses since 1994. The university offers between three and six weeks of study and cultural immersion, with six different levels based upon language proficiency.
Cultural Activities and Excursions
- Colombian dancing
- Culinary lessons
- Barranquilla tours and field trips
- Cartagena and Barú Island
- Usiacurí, Santa Marta, Taganga
- Other locations
Program Cost and Eligibility
Program Cost: $3,060
- 4 weeks of intensive language training
- Housing with a family
- Three meals a day, (breakfast and dinner at home. Lunch on campus)
- Excursions (Cartagena, Santa Marta, Usiacurí)
- Transportation to and from airport
- Off-campus residence to campus transportation
- International health insurance (required by Georgia Southern). Additional student health insurance provided by Universidad del Norte
- Student ID card
Does Not Include:
- Georgia Southern Tuition and Fees ($1,094.16)
- Airfare (approx. $1,000)
- Snacks (approx. $150)
- Incidental expenses (public transportation, etc)
- Application and Deposit: $500 Non-Refundable Fee due by February 15, 2022. (This amount will apply to the Program Costs. If application is accepted, deposit is non-refundable; if application is rejected, deposit will be refunded to student.)
- 1st Installment: $1,280 Due March 1, 2022
- 2nd Installment: $1,239.70 Due March 15, 2022
- Insurance Payment (Required): $40.30 Due March 15, 2022
The $500 application fee is non-refundable. 80% of the remaining funds are refundable up to 40 days before the program start date, since program services are contracted in advance and must be paid whether or not the student is able to continue with the program.
- 2.0 Cumulative GPA
- Commitment to speak Spanish during the program
Many forms of financial aid can be applied to the study abroad program costs; please note that the Hope scholarship applies to your Georgia Southern summer tuition, although it cannot be used to pay the program costs themselves. Georgia Southern students who intend to pay all or part of the study abroad program cost with financial aid should meet with their academic and financial aid advisor as soon as possible and should apply for summer financial aid no later than March 1, 2022. Students from other University System of Georgia schools should contact their academic advisor and financial aid office at their home institution for instructions.
All participants need a valid passport to enter Colombia. Please secure the passport as soon as possible. Medical and liability documents will be provided by the Study Abroad Office for each participant to complete prior to departure. International health insurance is included in the program fees and is required by Georgia Southern.
Students from other accredited universities are invited to enroll in our Study Abroad programs. In order to receive credit at their home institutions, however, they must enroll as transient students at Georgia Southern for the summer. Apply here for acceptance to Georgia Southern for summer study as Transient Student.
Have Any Questions? Please Contact Us!
Last updated: 4/19/2022