Skip to main content

German: Placement & Exams

German Links


Students who took less than four years of foreign languages at the high school level or students who took four years but would like to improve their language skills need to be placed into the correct level. Most students who have taken one to four years of high school foreign languages will probably place into a 1001 or a 1002 class, but there are occasional exceptions.

Guide to Self-Place into the Correct FL Course

Find below a basic self-assessment guide that you can use to place yourself into the right course. Be honest, do not to place yourself too high or too low; if in doubt, visit the instructor of the course as soon as possible. The description below that best matches your FL abilities – in both speech and in writing – is the course you should take.

Note that, because FL courses are sequenced, it is strongly recommended that you take an FL course your very first semester.

    • No previous language-learning experience all the way to the ability to say and write a few words/phrases. ==> GRMN 1001
    • Can say and write simple sentences in the present tense; can ask and answer simple questions. ==> GRMN 1002
    • Can speak and write in the present tense with relative ease and have an awareness of past-tense narration; can ask and answer questions related to daily life; can manage a simple conversation, albeit with difficulty. ==> GRMN 2001
    • Can speak in the present tense with ease and can successfully attempt some past-tense narration; can confidently ask and answer questions related to daily life; can conduct a simple conversation with relative ease. ==> GRMN 2002
    • Can narrate completely (beginning, middle, end) an experience in the past, although perhaps with grammatical errors and lexical gaps. ==> 3000 level course

  • Notable exceptions: If one of the following applies to you, visit with the instructor of the course you would like to take.
    • Native speaker.
    • Heritage speaker (some FL background in home life but did not attend high school in a foreign country).
    • Graduated from high school in a foreign country.
    • Studied abroad and/or had good high school FL teachers/programs.
Credit By Examination

It is possible to get credit by examination for 1001 through 2002 level courses. Here is how:

  • Visit the Registrar’s Office to pick up the form(s) you will need to get credit by examination for the course of your choice. You will also need to pay a small fee at the Registrar’s office.
  • Contact a German instructor to set up a time to take the final exam for German 1001, 1002, 1060, 2001, 2002, and/or 2060.
  • If you pass the final exam with a C (70 percent) or better, you get credit for the course.
  • Similarly, it is also possible to receive credit for lower level courses by taking (and passing) a higher level course (e.g., by taking and passing GRMN 3330 you could then “purchase” GRMN 1001, 1002, 1060, 2001, 2002, 2060.)
  • Contact the Registrar’s Office (478-5152) to check to be sure the procedure described is the one currently in use.

If you would like to sit in on a class to get a feel for what the different levels are like, you are welcome to do so. Contact the instructor(s) of the respective course.

Exit Exam for Majors

Last updated: 4/24/2019