The Department of History offers:
- Bachelor of Arts in History
- Bachelor of Arts, Teaching Track
- Bachelor of Arts with Distinction in History, by invitation to outstanding students
- Bachelor of Arts Honors History, by invitation from the University Honors College
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR HISTORY MAJORS
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|Area F – Courses Appropriate to Major|
|Foreign Language 2001 – Intermediate I||3|
|Foreign Language 2002 – Intermediate II||3|
|HIST||1111||World History I: Development of World Civilization*||3|
|HIST||1112||World History II: Emergence of Modern Global Community*||3|
|HIST||2111||History of America to 1877**||3|
|HIST||2112||History of America since 1865**|
|Select 6-12 credit hours from the following:||6-12|
|ANTH||1102||Introduction to Anthropology|
|GEOG||1130||World Regional Geography|
|PHIL||2010||Introduction to Philosophy|
|PSYC||1101||Introduction to Psychology|
|RELS||2130||Introduction to Religion|
|SOCI||1101||Introduction to Sociology|
*History majors should take HIST 1111 in Area B and HIST 1112 in Area F. If not taken to satisfy these CORE requirements, students must take these courses in Area F.
**History majors should take HIST 2110 in Area E. If HIST 2111 or HIST 2112 is taken to satisfy Area E, the remaining course must be taken in Area F.
|Foreign Language 1002 (if not taken in Core)||3|
|HIST||4635||Senior Seminar (Prerequisite HIST 2630)||3|
|Select six or seven of history courses at the 3000 level or above from the course catalog: 1||18-21|
1 At least nine (9) credit hours must include one course from three of the following four categories:
- U.S. History
- European History
- “Non-western” History [African, Asian, Latin American, or Middle Eastern]
- Public History
|Minor – Required|
|Select 15 credit hours of Minor (must be approved by advisor)||15|
|Select 21 credit hours of Electives||21|
|Total Credit Hours||124|
- Must have a minimum grade of “C” in every History course beyond the core surveys.
- Students must be in good standing to change major to History
- No more than 30 hours of upper division course work in the major may count toward the minimum of 126 hours required for graduation.
- Student Portfolio Requirements: In the semester of graduation, students must submit a copy of the major assignment from HIST 2630; submit a copy of a research/writing sample from an upper- division history course; submit a copy of a written or blue book exam from an upper-division history course; submit a copy of the major assignment from HIST 4635; and submit the Senior Exit Survey administered in HIST 4635.
Honors in History
To graduate with Honors in History, a student must:
- Be admitted to the University Honors College;
- Successfully complete:
- HIST 2630 with a minimum grade of “B” or higher
- HIST 3630H with a minimum grade of “B” or higher
- HONS 4999 for one credit hour
- HONS 4999 for two credit hours in separate semester with the same faculty member as the first semester of UHON 4999;
- Successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project;
- Be in good standing in the University Honors College at the time of graduation.
- (Taking the entire three credit-hour sequence of UHON 4999 with a faculty member substitutes for the HIST 4635 Senior Seminar – required for History Majors.)
All History majors, including students in the UHP, are advised by an advisor located in the Forest Drive Building, 912-478-7740.
Last updated: 1/11/2021