Dr. Johnathan O’Neill
Professor of History (2005).
B.A., Colgate University, 1991; M.A., Ph.D., University of Maryland, 1994, 2000.
Teaching and Research Interests: American Constitutional and Legal History; American Political Thought
Upper Division Courses:
- HIST 3133 U.S. Constitutional History
- HIST 5231 Legal History of the U.S.
Department of History
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8054
Statesboro, GA 30460-8054
Office: #3013, Interdisciplinary Academic Building
- Originalism in American Law and Politics: A Constitutional History. (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2005)
- “Constitutional Conservatism during the Progressive Era: The National Association for Constitutional Government and Constitutional Review,” Toward an American Conservatism: The Birth of Constitutional Conservatism during the Progressive Era. Ed. with Joseph Postell. (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013).
- “Constitutional Conservatism and American Conservatism” in Sanford V. Levinson, Joel Parker, and Melissa S. Williams, ed., NOMOS: American Conservatism(New York: New York University Press, 2016), 292-335. (Yearbook of the American Society for Political and Legal Philosophy)
- “William Howard Taft and the Constitutionalist Presidency in the Progressive Era,” in Bradley C.S. Watson, ed., Progressive Challenges to the Constitution: A New Republic(New York: Cambridge University Press, 2017), 196-225.
- “The South and American Constitutionalism after the Civil War,” in Alan Levine, James R. Stoner, and Thomas Merrill, ed., The Political Thought of the Civil War (Lawrence: University Press of Kansas, 2018), 377-405.
- “Daniel Webster: The Statesman as Constitutional Conservative” in Joseph Fornieri, ed., The Renewal of American Statesmanship. [under review].
- American Conservatism, 1900-1930: A Reader (edited, with Joseph Postell) [collection of primary sources, under contract with Lexington Books, publication expected in 2019].
- Constitutionalism and American Conservatism in the Twentieth Century (book project).
Last updated: 11/12/2020