Dr. Olavi Arens
Professor of History (1974).
A.B. in Social Studies – Harvard University (date); M.A. in History – Columbia University (Date); Ph.D. in Modern East European History – Columbia University (1976); Certificate of Russian Institute – Columbia University (date).
Teaching and Research Interests:
Russia and East Central Europe
Upper Division Courses:
- EURO 3234 European Union
- HIST 3320 Russia/Soviet Foreign Policy
- HIST 3533 East Central Europe
- HIST 3536 Russia to 1917
- HIST 5530 20th Century Russia
- HIST 7630 Historians Craft
- HIST 7633 Readings in European History
Department of History
Georgia Southern University, Armstrong
11935 Abercorn Street
Savannah, GA 31419-1997
Office: Hawes 104A
- “The American Children’s Relief Program and Estonian Children’s Relief Societies in 1919,” Acta Historica Tallinnensia, No. 23 (2016) 1-19.
- “United States Policy toward Estonia and the Baltic States 1918-20 and 1989-1991.” Ajalooline Ajakiri, The Estonian Historical Journal, 3/4 (2017) 347-368.
- “The Association for the Advancement of Baltic Studies: the Activity of a Learned Society in North America,” Go North! Baltic Sea Region Studies: Past-Present-Future, ed. By Carsten Schymik, et al., Berlin, 20006, 67-74.
- “The Revolution in the Baltics: Estonia and Latvia,’ (with A. Ezergailis), Critical Companion to the Russian Revolution, 1914-1921, London, 1997, 659-678.
Professional Activities, Awards, and Honors:
- Past President of the Southern Conference on Slavic Studies
- Academic Executive Director of the Association for the Advancement of Baltic Studies
- Recognition as one of the top faculty members in Armstrong State University’s history
- US Policy toward the Rise of the Baltic States in 1918-22
- Brest-Litovsk Peace Treaty and the Rise of the Baltic Question
Last updated: 3/30/2022