Dr. William Thomas Allison
Professor of History
B.A., M.A., East Texas State University, 1989, 1991
Ph.D., Bowling Green State University, 1995.
Teaching and Research Interests:
- War & Society
- Military History
- Vietnam War
- HIST 2400 The American Military Experience
- HIST 3150 The American War in Vietnam
- HIST 3158 War & Society: A Global Perspective
- HIST 7640 Introduction to War & Society
- HIST 7642 Explorations in War & Society
- HIST 7644 Case Studies in War & Society
Department of History
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8054
Statesboro, GA 30460-8054
- American Military History: A Survey from Colonial Times to the Present (3rd Edition) Co-author with Jeffrey Grey and Janet Valentine (New York: Routledge, 2020).
- My Lai: An American Atrocity in the Vietnam War (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2012, reprint 2019).
- The Gulf War, 1990-1991 (New York: Palgrave MacMillan, 2012).
- The Tet Offensive: A Brief History with Documents (New York: Routledge, 2008).
- Military Justice in Vietnam: The Rule of Law in an American War (Lawrence: University Press of Kansas, 2007).
- Witness to Revolution: The Russian Revolution Diary & Letters of J. Butler Wright (Westport, Connecticut: Praeger Publishers, 2002).
- American Diplomats in Russia: Case Studies in Orphan Diplomacy, 1916-1919 (Westport, Connecticut: Praeger Publishers, 1997.)
Professional Activities, Honors, and Awards:
- Co-Host, Military Historians are People, Too! Podcast (2021-Present)
- Series Editor, Modern War Studies, University Press of Kansas (2019-Present)
- Series Editor, Critical Moments in American History, Routledge/Taylor and Francis (2008-Present)
- Department of the Army Meritorious Public Service Medal (2014)
- Vice President, Society for Military History (2014-2015)
- General Harold K. Johnson Chair in Military History, US Army War College (2012-2014)
- Distinguished Visiting Professor in Military History, USAF School for Advanced Air and Space Studies (2010-2011)
- Editorial Advisory Board, The Journal of Military History (2009-2011)
- Department of the Army Historical Advisory Committee (2007-2011)
- Distinguished Visiting Professor in National Security, USAF Air War College (2002-2003)
Last updated: 3/30/2022