May 16 – June 12, 2021
Georgia Southern Summer Term A
You will be enrolled in six (6) credit hours of lower or upper division courses and will do a series of assignments, both orally and in writing, for your Georgia Southern professor. Additionally, as part of your immersion experience, each morning, Monday-Friday, in small groups, you will spend four hours practicing your language skills with native speakers who are trained in teaching their language to foreigners.
The Country: GERMANY
Germany is a Western European country with a landscape of forests, rivers, mountain ranges and North Sea beaches. It has over 2 millennia of history. Berlin, its capital, is home to art and nightlife scenes, the Brandenburg Gate and many sites relating to WWII. Munich is known for its Oktoberfest and beer halls, including the 16th-century Hofbräuhaus. Frankfurt, with its skyscrapers, houses the European Central Bank.
The City: BAMBERG
Bamberg is located in northern Bavaria, Germany, where the Regnitz and Main rivers meet. Its old town preserves structures from the 11th to 19th centuries including the muraled Altes Rathaus (town hall). The Romanesque Bamberg Cathedral, begun in the 11th century, features 4 towers and numerous stone carvings.
Partner Language School
The Sprachinstitut TREFFPUNKT is a renowned language institute located in the center of Bamberg. Qualified instructors and an open and friendly atmosphere ensure swift progress in your command of the German language. TREFFPUNKT offers a learning experience that goes beyond the classroom. Every day you will be offered the opportunity to practice the knowledge gained in the classroom through personal encounters with residents of Bamberg and a variety of extracurricular activities.
- Guided tours of Bamberg
- Showings of recent German films
- Lectures on political, historic and cultural affairs
- Meetings in pubs
- Visits to museums and companies
- Outdoor activities
Program Costs: $2,686.40
Paid directly to the language institute in Germany. Includes:
- 4 weeks of intensive language training
- Lodging in Bamberg
- 2 meals a day (breakfast, dinner)
- International health insurance (required by Georgia Southern)
Does not include:
- Georgia Southern Tuition and Fees ($1456.02)
- Round trip airfare (approx. $1500)
- Transportation to and from airport (approx. $100)
- Lunches (approx. $300)
- 8 Dinners (approx. $120)
- Incidental expenses (public transportation, etc.)
- Souvenirs and personal spending money
- Application and Deposit: $500 Non-Refundable Fee February 15, 2021. (This amount will apply to the Program Costs. If application is accepted, deposit is non-refundable; if application is rejected, deposit will be refunded to student.)
- 1st Installment: $1075 Due March 15, 2021.
- 2nd Installment: $1075 Due April 15, 2021.
- Insurance Payment (Required): $36.40 Due April 15, 2021.
The $500 application fee is non-refundable. 80% of the remaining funds are refundable up to 40 days before the program start date, since program services are contracted in advance and must be paid whether or not the student is able to continue with the program.
- 2.0 Cumulative GPA
- Commitment to speak German during the program
Many forms of financial aid can be applied to the study abroad program costs; please note that the Hope scholarship applies to your Georgia Southern summer tuition, although it cannot be used to pay the program costs themselves. Georgia Southern students who intend to pay all or part of the study abroad program cost with financial aid should meet with their academic and financial aid advisor as soon as possible and should apply for summer financial aid no later than March 1, 2021. Students from other University System of Georgia schools should contact their academic advisor and financial aid office at their home institution for instructions.
All deposits and program payments should be made here.
All participants need a passport valid for at least six months following May 16, 2021 to enter Germany. If you do not have a passport, please secure one as soon as possible. Visit www.travel.state.gov
to learn more. Medical and liability documents will be provided by the Study Abroad Office for each participant to complete prior to departure. International health insurance is included in the program fees and is required by Georgia Southern.
For more information contact:
Dr. Andrea Eder
Interdisciplinary Academic Building 2059
Last updated: 11/12/2020