Online payment will be available soon!
May 15 – June 14, 2020
Georgia Southern Summer Term A
Application Deadline: February 15, 2020
You will be enrolled in six (6) credit hours of lower or upper division courses and will do a series of assignments, both orally and in writing, for your Georgia Southern professor. Additionally, as part of your immersion experience, each morning, Monday–Friday, in small groups, you will spend four hours practicing your language skills with native speakers who are trained in teaching their language to foreigners.
The Country: FRANCE
France, in Western Europe, encompasses medieval cities, alpine villages and Mediterranean beaches. Paris, its capital, is famed for fashion houses; classical art museums, like the Louvre; and iconic monuments, including the Eiffel Tower. The country is also renowned for its wines and sophisticated cuisine. Lascaux’s ancient cave drawings, the medieval abbey of Mont-Saint-Michel, and the vast Palace of Versailles attest to its rich history.
The City: ROUEN
Rouen, the capital of the province of Normandy, is a port city of approximately 100,000 people on the River Seine, just north of Paris. One of the most prosperous cities of medieval Europe, Rouen still boasts a cobblestoned pedestrian center with half-timbered houses from the Middle Ages. Its rich history also includes the soaring spires of the Cathédrale-Notre-Dame, much painted by Impressionist artist Claude Monet, and the beaches of Normandy just north of Rouen, site of the heroic D-Day invasion by the Allied forces in 1944.
Partner Language School
The Alliance Française of Rouen-Normandy is part of a global network of language institutes in 132 countries that offers students at all levels, including beginners, the opportunity to learn French through a communicative and interactive approach. Accredited by the French government, the Alliance Française provides a firsthand experience with the language and culture of France to people from all over the world.
Excursions and Cultural Activities
- Day-long excursions to:
- the D-Day beaches of Normandy
- Cultural activities in Rouen
Program Costs: $2,755
- 4 weeks of intensive language learning
- Homestays with carefully selected families in Rouen
- Breakfast and dinner daily
- Return transportation from Paris to Rouen upon arrival
- Cultural activities in Rouen sponsored by the Alliance Française
- International health insurance (required by Georgia Southern)
Does Not Include:
- Georgia Southern Tuition & Fees ($1456.02)
- Airfare to Paris (approx. $1500)
- Lunches on weekdays (approx. $225)
- Train from Paris to Rouen (approx. $120)
- Incidental expenses (public transportation, etc.)
- Deposit: $300 Non-Refundable Application Fee due by February 15, 2020. (This amount will apply to the Program Costs. If application is accepted, deposit is non-refundable; if application is rejected, deposit will be refunded to student.)
- 1st Installment: $1200 Due March 1, 2020.
- 2nd Installment: $1200 Due March 15, 2020.
- Insurance Payment (Required): $55 Due March 15, 2020.
Click here to make your payment.
The $300 application fee is non-refundable. 80% of the remaining funds are refundable up to 40 days before the program start date, since program services are contracted in advance and must be paid whether or not the student is able to continue with the program.
- 2.0 Cumulative GPA
- Commitment to speak French during the program
Many forms of financial aid can be applied to the study abroad program costs; please note that the Hope scholarship applies to your Georgia Southern summer tuition, although it cannot be used to pay the program costs themselves. Georgia Southern students who intend to pay all or part of the study abroad program cost with financial aid should meet with their academic and financial aid advisor ASAP and should apply for summer financial aid no later than March 1, 2020. Students from other University System of Georgia schools should contact their academic advisor and financial aid office at their home institution for instructions.
All deposits and program payments should be made online here.
All participants need a valid passport to enter France. Please secure the passport as soon as possible. Medical and liability documents will be provided by the Study Abroad Office for each participant to complete prior to departure. International health insurance is included in the programs fees and is required by Georgia Southern.
Students from other accredited universities are invited to enroll in our Study Abroad programs. In order to receive credit at their home institutions, however, they must enroll as transient
students at Georgia Southern for the summer. Students may apply for acceptance to Georgia Southern for summer study at this link: Transient Students
For more information contact:
Dr. Martha Hughes
Interdisciplinary Academic Building 2083
Last updated: 10/18/2019