Study Abroad Links
May 24 – June 22, 2019
Georgia Southern Summer Term A
Application Deadline: February 15, 2019
You will be enrolled in six (6) credit hours of lower or upper division courses and will do a series of assignments, both orally and in writing, for your Georgia Southern professor. Additionally, as part of your immersion experience, each morning, Monday–Friday, in small groups, you will spend four hours practicing your language skills with native speakers who are trained in teaching their language to foreigners.
The Country: FRANCE
France, in Western Europe, encompasses medieval cities, alpine villages and Mediterranean beaches. Paris, its capital, is famed for its fashion houses, classical art museums including the Louvre
and monuments like the Eiffel Tower. The country is also renowned for its wines and sophisticated cuisine. Lascaux
’s ancient cave drawings, Lyon’s Roman theaters and the vast Palace of Versailles attest to its rich history.
The City: TOURS
Tours is known for its original medieval district with busy pubs, restaurants, open-air tables, and many bridges. It is located in the centre-west of France between two rivers, the Loire and the Cher. The city is called “Le Jardin de la France”, The Garden of France. With rich cultural history, the traditional province of Touraine is known for its wines, for the alleged perfection of its local spoken French, and for the Battle of Tours.
Partner Language School
Institut de Touraine: Every year the Institut de Touraine in Tours welcomes to its classrooms more than 1,000 adults and young people who come from everywhere in the world to learn French or improve their knowledge of French language and culture in a congenial international environment.
Excursions and Cultural Activities
- Café des Langues
- Cathédrale St. Gatien
- Visit Les Prébendes
- Chambord and Cheverny Castles
- Mont Saint-Michel and Saint-Malo
Program Costs: $2,755
- 4 weeks of intensive language training
- Lodging in Tours
- Breakfast, dinner during the week
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner during the weekend
- Free Cultural Activities sponsored by the Institut de Touraine
- International health insurance (required by Georgia Southern)
- Cultural/Historical Excursions
Does Not Include:
- Georgia Southern Tuition & Fees ($1456.02)
- Airfare to Paris (approx. $1500)
- Lunches on weekdays (approx. $225)
- Train from Paris to Tours (approx. $120)
- Incidental expenses (public transportation, etc.)
- Deposit: $300 Non-Refundable Application Fee due by February 15, 2019. (This amount will apply to the Program Costs. If application is accepted, deposit is non-refundable; if application is rejected, deposit will be refunded to student.)
- 1st Installment: $1200 Due February 15, 2019.
- 2nd Installment: $1200 Due March 15, 2019.
- Insurance Payment (Required): $55 Due March 15, 2019.
Click here to make your payment.
The $300 application fee is non-refundable. 80% of the remaining funds are refundable up to 40 days before the program start date, since program services are contracted in advance and must be paid whether or not the student is able to continue with the program.
- 2.0 Cumulative GPA
- Commitment to speak French during the program
Many forms of financial aid can be applied to the study abroad program costs; please note that the Hope scholarship applies to your Georgia Southern summer tuition, although it cannot be used to pay the program costs themselves. Georgia Southern students who intend to pay all or part of the study abroad program cost with financial aid should meet with their academic and financial aid advisor ASAP and should apply for summer financial aid no later than March 1, 2019. Students from other University System of Georgia schools should contact their academic advisor and financial aid office at their home institution for instructions.
All deposits and program payments should be made online here.
All participants need a valid passport to enter France. Please secure the passport as soon as possible. Medical and liability documents will be provided by the Study Abroad Office for each participant to complete prior to departure. International health insurance is included in the programs fees and is required by Georgia Southern.
Students from other accredited universities are invited to enroll in our Study Abroad programs. In order to receive credit at their home institutions, however, they must enroll as transient
students at Georgia Southern for the summer. Students may apply for acceptance to Georgia Southern for summer study at this link: Apply for acceptance to the summer study program
For more information contact:
Dr. W. Brad Holley
Interdisciplinary Academic Building 2055
Last updated: 5/6/2019