Assistant Professor of English in Professional Writing and Media Studies
The Department of English in the College of Arts and Humanities invites applications and nominations for the position of tenure-track Assistant Professor of English in Professional Writing and Media Studies. The ideal candidate will demonstrate academic interest in emerging technologies/generative AI and will contribute to the professional writing concentration in our new BA in English. The candidate will also contribute to professional and technical writing courses in our MA in English and an interdisciplinary MA in Professional Communication and Leadership. Preference will be given to candidates with backgrounds in user experience, content creation, data analysis, linguistic methods, science writing, data or digital storytelling, digital humanities, and/or emerging technologies. We are especially interested in candidates who can demonstrate innovative uses of generative AI in the teaching and assessment of writing; candidates with interests in developing training, university programming, and coursework in generative AI and digital humanities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1906, Georgia Southern University is a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution with a focus on public-impact research, serving over 25,500 students on three beautiful campuses in Statesboro, Savannah, and Hinesville, and via a growing online program. Through our degree offerings at the associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern offers a distinctive combination of community collaboration, world-class scholarship, innovative teaching, and hands-on learning opportunities.
Within this setting, the Department of English strives to produce graduates who understand the art and science of language, literature, and writing as exemplified by a free exchange of ideas in an open, inclusive, and respectful student-centered environment, a commitment to academic excellence, and collaborative support for each learner’s individual academic achievement. With an interdisciplinary base degree and three concentrations (Literature, Professional Writing, and Creative Writing), the English major and M.A. program link theory with practice, extend the learning environment beyond the classroom, promote learner growth and life success, and facilitate learners’ development as readers, writers, and thinkers. We prepare learners to achieve academic excellence, develop their analytic skills, enhance their creativity, and embrace their roles as citizens of their communities, their workplaces, their nations, and the world.
Position Description. Reporting to the department chair, the Assistant Professor of English in Professional Writing and Media Studies position requires teaching three courses per term (six courses per year), ongoing scholarly productivity, as well as service responsibilities. The position is an academic (10 month) tenure-track appointment, and the salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Earned Ph.D. in a field relevant and suitable to the Department of English—such as Professional and Technical Writing; Writing Studies; Media Studies; Rhetoric and Composition; English; Linguistics; or a closely related field by August 1, 2024.
- Scholarly agenda relevant to Professional and Technical Writing, Media Studies, or Emerging Technologies, broadly conceived.
- Demonstrated academic interest in emerging technologies/generative AI and their impacts.
- Record of successful teaching within higher education.
- Willingness to engage with institutional student success initiatives.
- Commitment to engaging with best practice initiatives in instruction and pedagogy, mentoring, and curriculum design and development.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing a strong and growing research and scholarship agenda and the production of research/creative activities as appropriate to the discipline.
- Ability to contribute to scholarship and teaching in a range of department areas such as user experience, content creation, data analysis, linguistic methods, science writing, data or digital storytelling, digital humanities, and/or emerging technologies.
- Record of innovative and excellent teaching.
- Demonstrated interest in and potential for interdisciplinary collaboration, including developing externally funded projects.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution.
- All work (with limited exceptions such as research and study abroad and outside activities such as grading and email correspondence) for Georgia Southern University must be completed while the employee is physically present in the state of Georgia, unless specifically authorized by the university for a specific purpose and limited period of time within current policy.
- Faculty are expected to contribute to the vibrant university community by engaging students, participating in events, and performing other responsibilities on-campus
- Faculty may be required to teach, conduct research, or perform service duties on any of the three campuses. Georgia Southern provides accessible transportation options between campuses.
Screening of applications begins November 16, 2023 and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is August 1, 2024. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; a curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least 3 professional references. Other documentation such as a teaching philosophy and writing sample may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Jinrong Li, Search Chair, Search #68006
Georgia Southern University
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu or https://cah.georgiasouthern.edu/english/. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources at 912-478-6947.
Last updated: 10/18/2023