English Language Program
College of Arts and Humanities


Now accepting applications for Spring 2020!

Admission to the English Language Program

To apply, please complete the following steps. All documents must be sent to the English Language Program.

Step 1:

– Complete the online application here.

– Submit the $50 USD non-refundable application fee.

What method of payment can I use?
You can pay the $50 fee online by credit card.

Step 2:

– Submit the following documents:

  • High School Diploma/Transcripts or University Diploma/Transcripts
  • Passport and U.S. Visa (if currently living in the U.S.)
  • I-20 Request Form (View Here)

For those seeking an F-1 visa (student):

  • Submit the Financial Document via email.
    • View the Sample Financial Document to see what it should look like.
    • You must show that you have $24,857 (amount of education and living expenses for one academic year)

Photocopies, faxes and scans of financial documents are acceptable. However, all documents must still follow the guidelines listed in our SEVIS Financial Documentation Requirements

Step 3:

– Receive your I-20 (Find out how to apply for an I-20/DS 2019).

– Make an appointment to visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for your interview

All of the information you’ll need to schedule your appointment will be in the email you receive stating that your I-20 is ready to be shipped.

Commonly Asked Questions

How do I apply for an I-20/DS 2019?
The Georgia Southern University Office of International Programs and Services provides a detailed guide in “How to Apply for an I-20/DS 2019.
Do I need the Financial Document?
This is only required for students who are seeking an F-1 (student) visa to come and study in the United States. Legal permanent residents do not need this.
What does the Financial Document do?
This document must demonstrate that you or your guarantor have enough money to pay all of your educational and living expenses for at least one academic year. The amount must be more than $24,857.
If you are bringing dependents (children and/or spouse), an additional $3,586 USD per dependent must be documented.
My bank cannot provide a letter in English. What do I do?
If your bank cannot provide a letter in English, the original letter must be submitted along with an official translation.
Where do I send the documents?

All documents must be submitted in the ISSS Portal.


First Class Air Mail

English Language Program

Department of Writing and Linguistics

P.O. Box 8026

Statesboro, GA 30460    U.S.A.

UPS, DHL, FedEx, etc.

English Language Program

Department of Writing and Linguistics

622 C.O.B.A. Drive

Statesboro, GA 30458   U.S.A.

Curious about the process? Check out how it works

For more information about U.S. Embassies and Consulate websites worldwide, as well as information about the U.S. visa policies and procedures, visit usembassy.gov.

Need more assistance? Feel free to contact us at elp@georgiasouthern.edu!

Last updated: 10/18/2019


English Language Program | Department of Writing and Linguistics

PO Box 8026 Statesboro, GA 30460 • (912) 478-5796• elp@georgiasouthern.edu