Reaching Goals Through English Skills!

Amparo is a Fall 2018 ELP student at Georgia Southern University's Division of Continuing EducationMy name is Amparo Schepp, I’m from Bogotá, Colombia. I’m enrolled in the English Language Program (ELP) at Georgia Southern University in Statesboro, Georgia. My goal is to find a job using my skills and credentials in accounting. To achieve this goal I need to be more proficient in English. Since being enrolled in the ELP my English language skills have improved greatly. I continue to be more comfortable in conversation and am more able to fully express myself in different social settings, my vocabulary, and understanding of English sentence structure has also boosted my confidence.

I like the way the classes are structured in ELP because we practice the four communication skills of interviews, exhibitions, group work and practical grammar exercises. Each class touches on different topics and methodology, this class structure makes class fun, different, and entertaining. Being in ELP has helped me to lose the fear of speaking in English, perhaps one of the most valuable factors is that it is more personalized teaching. In effect, our teacher manages to get to know each one of her students, that allows her to better guide each learning process and to reinforce those areas that does not feel comfortable.

Our teacher has great experience in teaching language. This helped me see the study of English in a more interesting and engaging way. Her teaching also made it much easier to study. ELP gives international students the opportunity to come to the United States to learn English. My primary language is Spanish, but very soon it will be English!

Share:

Posted in Blog, Student Posts

Tags: , , , ,