Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

What does the consolidation mean for the Professional Communication and Leadership (PCL) program?

The PCL program will continue to be offered on the Armstrong campus with a few curriculum updates. The consolidation has given the PCL program an opportunity to expand and better serve the needs of more students! We will now be offering the PCL degree on the Statesboro campus as well as the Armstrong campus.

Will I need to take courses on both campuses? 

No, students can complete their entire course of study on either the Armstrong or Statesboro campus. While students have the option to take a course on another campus, it is not necessary. All required courses will be offered on both campuses during the academic year.

What can I do with a degree in Professional Communication and Leadership?

The possibilities are endless! PCL graduates have used their degree to pursue a wide range of career opportunities in communication, marketing, public relations, criminal justice, athletic coaching, education, the health professions and military service. The PCL program also prepares students to pursue advanced graduate degrees in law, leadership, and communication related disciplines.

Are online courses offered?

The program can be completed on the Armstrong or Statesboro campuses or completely online.

Can I pursue the MA if I begin the program as a certificate student?

Yes, many students do this and all certificate courses can be applied to the master’s degree.

How long does it take to complete the PCL degree? 

That depends on how many courses you plan to take each semester. Students who take 3 courses per semester (we do not advise taking more than 3 a semester) typically finish the program in 18 – 24 months.  Certificate students can finish the program in one academic year.

How much does the PCL degree cost?

The PCL program is 30 credit hours. The in-state tuition per credit hour for graduate students is $277 which puts the cost for total credit hours to complete the program at $8,310. This cost does not include mandatory fees, cost of books, living expenses, etc.

For a more detailed look at the total cost of attending graduate school please (mandatory fees, out-of- state tuition) visit the Bursar’s website.

I’m a senior and am planning to pursue the PCL degree after I graduate from Georgia Southern. What is Senior Privilege? 

Senior Privilege is a great option for students transitioning to graduate school. To be eligible for Senior Privilege, students must be in their last semester of coursework and have no more than 12 hours left in their undergraduate degree.

Seniors are allowed to take up to 9 hours of graduate level courses (5000G, 6000, and 7000 level), with the total enrollment in graduate and undergraduate credits not exceeding 15 hours. Keep in mind, while the 5000G courses (and 6000/7000 courses) will count towards your graduate program of study once you have gained admission, they will not count towards your undergraduate degree requirements.

Seniors do not need to apply for admission into the graduate program, but would need to submit the Transient Student Request Form to your Program Director and Department Chair for approval. Once they have approved the form it would go to the Georgia Southern College of Graduate Studies for final approval.

How do I apply for Graduate Assistantships? 

The Professional Communication and Leadership (PCL) program offers a limited number of competitive graduate assistantship positions. For more information about eligibility and the application process please visit the Graduate Assistantship webpage for the College of Graduate Studies.

How do I find out what classes to take? 

Your academic advisor is Dr. Beom Bae. You can search for classes using the Georgia Southern University’s Course Search.

How can I fund my education?

There are several resources for funding your education. Graduate assistantships cover standard in-state and out-of-state tuition costs. You may also apply for internal and external scholarships. Additionally, you may borrow federal, state, and private loans to fund your education. If you are a GSU employee, you may be eligible for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), an employee supplemental educational assistance program.

How do I find out about graduate health insurance? 

You can voluntarily enroll in the University System of Georgia’s (USG) Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). Graduate assistants and other specific groups that are required to have health insurance are automatically enrolled in SHIP. However, they may apply for a waiver if they already have a personal health insurance plan.

What health and well-being resources and facilities are available to me?

You have access to online and in- person mental health and well-being resources as a PCL graduate student. For more information on the resources available to you, please visit the College of Graduate Studies website.

Where do I get my Eagle ID card?

You can visit the EagleCard Services website for information on where and how to get your Eagle ID card. The site also provides information on what to do if your Eagle ID card is lost or stolen.

Where do I go to receive academic support services on campus? 

As a PCL student, you have access to the Academic Success Center and the University Writing Center.

Last updated: 3/16/2023