Skip to main content


Below are the most frequently asked questions the Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art (BFSDoArt) receives. Can’t find your answer? Email your question to

FAQs for Prospective Students


How do I apply?

Students seeking Bachelors Degrees will find a list of requirements on the Office of Admissions website.Graduate students may find admissions requirements through the Office of Graduate Admissions.

Are scholarships available for incoming students?

Why, yes there are! In addition to departmental scholarships, there are many other opportunities for incoming students both on and off campus. The Office of Financial Aid is an excellent resource for information about federal and state aid programs and also provides information about external scholarships. Students apply to most scholarships through the MyScholarships Application portal.

How can my AP (Advanced Placement) credits be applied toward my degree?

Incoming Freshmen who have AP credits must earn a 4 or higher on their AP portfolio. Art AP credits count as one of the exploratory courses (ART 2000) ART 2000 will serve as one three hour Exploratory Studio Elective. Students must order official score reports from The College Board and request that the College Board send them to the Office of Admissions. AP credits will be reviewed with an Academic Advisor during SOAR (Southern’s Orientation, Advisement, and Registration).

icon_alert_pplNOTE: We cannot accept copies of unsealed score reports or copies of score reports.

Do you require a portfolio of work to be accepted into the visual arts program?

The Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art currently does not require portfolios to be admitted to our undergraduate programs. However, the BFA in Graphic Design requires students to pass a Portfolio Review at the end of their second year to continue on into the program.

Can I study Graphic Design at the Armstrong Campus?

The Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art offers a minor in Graphic Design on the Armstrong Campus. The Graphic Design major is only offered on the Statesboro Campus. Students may choose to begin the BFA Graphic Design program on the Armstrong Campus, however, many classes for the major are only offered in Statesboro and those courses are offered on a rotation. Students should consult with their advisor to create a plan.

Transfer students with questions about the BFA in Graphic Design may contact the Department via email at

Can I study Art Education in Statesboro?

Yes. Students who want to begin the BS Art Education program may start the program on either the Statesboro or Armstrong Campus. However, some required courses for the Art Education major are only available on the Armstrong Campus. Please consult with your advisor to develop a plan.

Can I study visual arts on the Armstrong Campus?

Yes. Students may choose to pursue either a BA in Studio Art or BFA in 2D or 3D Studio Art on the Armstrong Campus. Minors in Graphic Design, Photography/Digital Imaging, Studio Art, and Art History are also fully available on the Armstrong Campus.

Am I required to purchase a computer?

The Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art does not require students to furnish a personal computer. Students have access to computer labs and peripheral equipment during class and during limited open lab hours. In addition, the Henderson Library in Statesboro has computer labs available 24/7. Students rarely will need access to industry software until their second year. It is strongly recommended that students supplement the program’s technology with equipment of their own. At this time, we recommend the following:

MacBook ProMacBook Pro 13-inch

8GB Memory & 256GB Storage

icon_info_pinkKeep in mind that students can buy discounted software and computers. Tech Corner on the Statesboro Campus can assist you in your purchase. View more information regarding the BFSDoArt computer lab.  icon_externallink_grn

Can prospective students sit in on a class?

Absolutely! We encourage prospective students to sit in on classes between Mondays and Thursdays because that is when our department is most active. Please, contact us to arrange your visit.

What is Graphic Communications?

Graphic Communications is one of six art minors. This program educates students with printing techniques and technology used in the printing industry to prepare graduates for careers as account executives, project managers, and the like.

Will my current college courses transfer?

Once you have been accepted to Georgia Southern University you will receive a credit evaluation detailing which courses will transfer into our institution. For more detailed information about what specific class will transfer, please use the Registrar’s Transfer Equivalency Tool.


What is the difference between 2D and 3D concentrations?

Students pursuing a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art may choose either a 2D or 3D Studio Art Concentration. The 2D or Two-Dimensional Studio Art Concentration focuses on Painting, Drawing, Illustration, Printmaking, Papermaking and Book Arts. The 3D or Three-Dimensional Studio Art Concentration focuses primarily on Ceramics, Fibers, Jewelry, Small Metals and Sculpture.

What are the main differences between the B.A., B.F.A. and B.S. degrees?

A Bachelor of Arts degree or BA degree requires that students complete a foreign language sequence through level 2002. Typically, this translates into a total of four foreign language courses: 1001, 1002, 2001, and 2002. Bachelor of Science degrees or BS degrees require a foreign language as well but only up through level 2001. Also, most BS degrees offer the option of declaring a minor rather than requiring one like the BA does. Bachelor of Fine Arts or BFA degrees do not require a foreign language or a minor. Time spent pursuing a minor and completing a foreign language sequence for the BA and BS degrees is rather spent in the studio producing and designing artwork.

What CORE classes do I need?

Every undergraduate student at Georgia Southern University is required to take the same CORE classes in addition to their selected major coursework. Please review the Course Catalog for more information.
FAQs for Current Students


What are the minimum grade requirements for Art Majors?

Art Majors must earn a “C” or better in all courses in the Major. All Foundation courses must be completed prior to Concentration Requirements.

Must students follow a course sequence requirement?

Students must successfully complete prerequisites for courses and take courses in the proper sequence. Please consult your Academic Advisor for more information or refer to the Course Catalog.

What is the Level II enrollment requirement?

Held annually at end of the Spring Semester, Graphic Design majors require a successful review of their Level I Graphic Design work to continue into the Level II Graphic Design courses. Please refer to the portfolio review guidelines.

Are students required to have internships?

Art History, Graphic Design and Studio Art Majors have the option to take an internship course. A professional internship is offered as a program elective and requires a total institution GPA of 2.75 to register for credit.

Where do I look for internships?

First and foremost, make sure you have subscribed to the Opportunities email list. You can do this by updating your profile from a departmental email sent through Constant Contact. Second, understand that you are not restricted to only the internships that we offer; go out, network and find an internship that specifically meets your needs—just make sure your internship advisor signs off on it.

How many credit hours should I take?

Contact your Academic Advisor for questions about credit hours. (How many credits are required to have an on-campus job, be considered full time, etc? In addition, your advisor can answer questions about course load, 4-year plans of study, course rotations, etc.)

How do I get my RAN?

You must be advised to obtain your Registration Access Number or RAN. Make an appointment with our Academic Advisor.

Can I and why would I declare a minor with the BFSDoArt?

The Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art (BFSDoArt) offers a variety of minors that can help shape your future career path or even open possibilities for careers you haven’t considered. In Statesboro, students can declare a minor in Animation/New Media, Art History, Graphic Communications, Graphic Design, Photography/Digital Imaging, or Studio Art. Minors in Art, Art History and Graphic Design are offered on the Armstrong Campus.

How do I clear for graduation?

Students will create a graduation plan with their Academic Advisor during the fall of their junior year. Students will apply via WINGS at least THREE semesters prior to the term they plan to graduate. Your advisor will remind you during your advisement appointments. The latest to apply for graduation is prior to the start of your last semester.


Why are creative degrees attractive to employers?

FORBES Magazine says it best, “We’ve entered a new imagination-inspired ecosystem that rewards ideation over mere production, and marks creativity as an undeniable catalyst to an organization’s success.” (2011)

What can I do with my degree?

Plenty. But sometimes you have to be JUST as creative in getting a job as you are in the studio. A couple of examples of jobs our alumni hold are:
A 2D alumni painted the ornate details inside of Atlanta mosques.
A Graphic Design alumna paints the in-store advertising signs for Trader Joes.

How can I find out about job openings?

As a student of the BFSDoArt, you are automatically signed up on our mailing list. Make sure to update your profile to receive announcements regarding job opportunities. (We send them out to Alumni, too!) Georgia Southern’s Office of Career and Professional Development is another excellent resource.


Why does the BFSDoArt have such a strict attendance policy?

Studio art, graphic communications, art history, and Art Education courses are practice or skill-based, and as such, class attendance is crucial to the learning process. Unique demonstrations, group critiques, and oral presentations are not repeatable or easily rescheduled. In addition, many of the demonstrations are vital to your well-being. Some of our equipment can be very dangerous if not used properly.

FAQs for Parents

How can I stay informed about department events?

We invite parents of the BFSDoArt to join our mailing list to keep up with department events, advising, and student announcements.

How can I stay informed about campus events?

Georgia Southern’s Parent Programs, of course!

Do I have a voice in my student’s college career?

Yes, as long as your student signs off on their FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), we can speak to you about their coursework.

Can we schedule a tour of the BFSDoArt?

Of course! Let us know when you’d like to visit our department in Statesboro or Savannah and we’ll arrange a tour of our facilities, discuss degree options and so much more. It also wouldn’t hurt to meet with Admissions while you’re here!

Who can my student speak to regarding his coursework? (what to take, in what order, etc.)

The Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art has two dedicated Academic Advisors to assist students in the advising and registration process. They also can help students with pre-professional development and referrals to beneficial on- and off-campus resources.

FAQs for Alumni

How can I stay informed about department events?

Sign up for our mailing list.

Can the BFSDoArt assist me in my job hunt?

Absolutely. Part of our mailing list has an option to hear about career openings solicited to the BFSDoArt. Make sure you have that selected. You also can find a BFSDoArt Alumni Group on LinkedIn to assist with networking and job sharing. Georgia Southern’s Office of Career and Professional Development is another excellent resource.

FAQs for the Community


What happened to the Club Mud Exhibition & Sale?

The BFSDoArt partners with the Averitt Center for the Art to host the All Fired Up Exhibition & Sale at the Roxy Remley Center for Fine Arts in downtown Statesboro. Many of our student organizations sell their work along-side community artists. You’ll find, ceramics, jewelry, print, paper, & book arts, and much more.

How can I stay informed about department events?

Sign up for our mailing list.

Last updated: 7/21/2022