Alumni Spotlight: Lois Harvey
- First & Last Name: Lois Harvey
- Degree: BFA, 3D Studios
- Graduation Year: 2014
- Personal Website: https://loisharvey.wordpress.com/
- Where are you currently working? The Clay Studio
- What types of jobs & where have you held in the past? Gallery assistant at Georgia Southern University
- What is your favorite type of work? I enjoy making work that channels more than one idea and is very complex- I hand build my ceramics so my favorite project is usually one that I can make as complex as possible while still physically being stable.
- Where &/or how are you inspired? I am inspired by walking around, observing my surroundings, the architecture and land. I am interested all art, not just ceramics. In the studio music plays an integral part of my creative process.
- Most memorable moment/experience with the BFSDoArt? My most memorable experience with the BFSDoArt Program was working as a gallery assistant for the university. Being involved in unpacking artwork, installations, shipping, and having one-on-one interaction with visiting artists of all types of disciplines was invaluable insight into how to be a successful working visual artist.
- If there was one thing you wish you knew before you graduated, what would it be?
That there are more opportunities for visual artists, especially ceramic artists than you realize while in college. This whole idea of the “starving artist” is only as powerful as you let it be. Artist have advantage of creativity–there are many opportunities for artists who are flexible and willing to consider different viewpoints and be adventurous.
- Where would you like to see yourself, career-wise, in 10 years? I would like be a working artist and possibly teach on a university level.
- Involvement with any professional organizations. Work Exchange with The Clay Studio, Philadelphia.